fbpx
Congratulations! Let us know your lessons learned and how our products have helped you prepare.
Please remember that you are not allowed to discuss any specific questions that you encounter on the exam.

TOPIC: Passed the CAPM Exam Last Week. My Approach.

Passed the CAPM Exam Last Week. My Approach. 3 years 2 months ago #26467

• Mitch Franklin
  • Mitch Franklin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I sat for my CAPM last week after beginning the PM Prepcast course 3 months ago. Big thanks to the PM Prepcast course as I was able to easily pass scoring above target in all 14 domains. I nearly missed my exam though as I was unfamiliar with where the testing center was and it took awhile to find it. I even remember the video of Cornelius saying to find the test center before the big day. Fortunately I gave myself plenty of time and the associate at the Pearson center was able to provide excellent directions to find the site. I highly recommend taking the time to find the test center before the day of the exam so you don't have to experience the same panic that I did.

Here was my approach for preparing for the exam and I felt very confident once I was able to actually find the test center:

1.) Watched just the overview videos for each of the 13 domains and then took the Pre-Assessment quiz and scored 59.6% . I wasn't expecting much as I'm just getting interested in project management and wasn't familiar with most of the terminology.

2.) Watched each of the required videos in order taking notes in the PMBoK guide (I quickly skimmed the guide and underlined important topics), taking screenshots (slides) of pertinent info in the video lessons that were not in the guide. I used an app called "Tiny Scanner" which uses only a fraction of the data a normal picture would. I then took the assessment quizzes at the end of each knowledge area.

3.) Once finishing the required videos, I made spreadsheets detailing the knowledge area processes with descriptions and key benefits, ITTO's , and components of the knowledge area management plans. This proved helpful as it gave me a space to take notes as I was reading the explanations during the practice exams. I didn't memorize every ITTO in each process but definitely made it a priority to go through them many times to recognize patterns and groupings.

4.) I took the 3 practice exams scoring 75%, 74%, and 81%. I took time to read through the explanations of all the questions and not just the ones I got wrong as there is a lot of good info to be learned even when the question was simple.

5.) In getting ready for the CAPM exam, I reviewed the important notes in the PMBoK guide, reviewed my screenshot slides from the videos, read the Code of Ethics, and tried organizing the ITTO data in different ways to help grasp where and how they fit into each of the processes.

I hope my lessons learned and approach can help someone out there if they're struggling. If anyone has any questions regarding the process, I'd be more than happy to respond to questions. Remember to believe in yourself and know exactly where the location is of your test center. Good luck!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katya Vanessa Ramos, Jennifer Castile-Powell

Passed the CAPM Exam Last Week. My Approach. 3 years 2 months ago #26476

• Linda De Boer
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
G'day Mitch,

Congratulations on achieving your CAPM, the hard work paid off! Thank you for sharing your lessons learned and the reassurance in your remarks, to help others do as well.
Linda de Boer, CAPM®
Manager of System Architecture
Owl Tree Operations Inc.

Passed the CAPM Exam Last Week. My Approach. 3 years 1 month ago #26768

• Donald McGee
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Mitch,

What do those spreadsheets look like? I'm wrestling with a decision to take the time to create spreadsheets vs. just reviewing the information in the Guide. Was it just the act of copying the information (processes, ITTOs, etc.) that helped you learn it more thoroughly?

Thanks

Passed the CAPM Exam Last Week. My Approach. 3 years 1 month ago #26873

• Mitch Franklin
  • Mitch Franklin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Donald,

I can relate to not wanting to put the effort in to setting up the knowledge areas and ITTO's. It did take awhile but I suppose when you want it to look a certain way, you just make it work. I looked at a number of other spreadsheets people set up and didn't find any that relate to me.

If you want to give me your email, I'd be more than happy to send it to you. This platform isn't allowing to attach a google sheets file .xlsx.

Take care.

-Mitch

Passed the CAPM Exam Last Week. My Approach. 3 years 1 month ago #26874

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks for your kind offer, Mitch. Please send to the address noted if you don't mind.

Passed the CAPM exam last week 3 years 1 month ago #26881

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'm not able to see your email address if you put it in the message. Did you list it there?
Last edit: by Elizabeth Harrin. Reason: edited to remove personal email address

Passed the CAPM Exam Last Week. My Approach. 2 years 11 months ago #27395

• Rosena Chan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Mitch,

I would love to get a copy of your spreadsheet as well, if possible.

My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thank you so much and congrats on passing the exam!

Passed the CAPM Exam Last Week. My Approach. 2 years 3 weeks ago #29282

• Mary Burke
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Could you send me the spreadsheet as well!

my email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Passed the CAPM Exam Last Week. My Approach. 2 years 1 week ago #29355

• Jay A
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Can I also have it, please? I intend to take the CAPM exam by the end of the month, so this would be a big help. Thanks in advance.
Moderators: John Paul Bugarin

OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
OSP INTERNATIONAL LLC
Training for Project Management Professional (PMP)®, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)®, and Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®

Login